Old September 23rd 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Build it and they won't come

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 08:22:52 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 9/21/2017 11:44 PM, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:33:12 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
wrote:

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:26:07 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Comparing traffic between Singapore and Smog Angeles:
https://www.numbeo.com/traffic/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+States&country2 =Singapore&city1=Los+Angeles%2C+CA&city2=Singapore
Bicycle as the main means of transportation:
L.A. = 2.90%, Singapore = 2.35%

From the section "Average when primary using Bike" it would seem that
L.A. bicycle riders use cars, trains, and buses on part of their
rides, while Singapore riders use none of these facilities.

You apparently missed the part where it said that:
Bus/Trolleybus (LA) 2.90% (SNG)29.41%
and:
Train/Metro (LA)1.45% (SNG)28.24%

Or to put it another way, 57.65% of Singapore commuters use public
transportation.

Sure. L.A. is a disaster from the standpoint of public transit. I
used to live there. It's also much larger than Singapore making a car
a necessity.

Way back in the very late 1960's and very early 1970's I lived in
Riverside and I remember that L.A. in at least two elections proposed
a bond issue to fund a proper public transportation system... which
the voters turned down twice.

After all, it would have resulted in an increase in taxes to redeem
the bonds and to pay the interest.

Under the same "Main Means of Transportation" heading:
Car (LA) 79.71% (SNG) 17.65%
I'm not sure what "main" really means. Is it the sole means of
transport meaning that one does not own an automobile or bicycle? Or
is it just which means of transport used most often or for the longest
distance? I couldn't find a definition on the web site.

Having lived in Singapore for a number of years I can assure you that
the bulk of the population goes to work by public transportation which
in Singapore is comprised of bus routes and a subway (SMRT) system
that allows travel over the entire island. In addition there are very
large numbers of taxi's.

Additionally there is essentially no parking on the streets in the
business districts and parking lots are monitored by the police and
failure to pay the parking fee... in the range of $1.00 an hour is
rather severely dwelt with, a $50 fine for first offense.

Singapore wouldn't know an authoritarian regime if it bit
them in the ass:

http://theexpiredmeter.com/2008/09/p...ng-in-chicago/

I think that "city sticker" is a great idea. How about a "bicycle
sticker" to defray the cost of building these bicycle lanes I read
about.

--
Cheers,

John B.