Old October 1st 17, 08:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Technology advances, to where exactly?

On Sun, 1 Oct 2017 14:04:12 -0500, DougC
wrote:

The current belief is that conventional air conditioning takes way too
much power for a human to provide under any circumstance. I think there
might be a way around that but I've not tried it myself.

Probably, but there are better ways to stay cool:
https://coolingclothing.shop/collections/evaporative-cooling
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/cooling-products.html
Basically, it's like wearing a swamp cooler. As the water evaporates
from the surface of the vest or hat, the temperature drops. The
material is PVA (poly vinyl acetate) which is quite porous which helps
it retain water for longer periods. You'll find PVA cooling cloths in
the headbands of better bicycle helmets.

One catch is that it works rather badly in high humidity environments,
where the air just can't hold any more water. It's also somewhat of a
problem in very low humidity environments where the water evaporates
so quickly, that you will quickly be too cold.

You can get a similar cooling effect by simply having the bicycle
spray you with a fine mist of water. As the water evaporates, you
become cooler. Water mist spray bottles are available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/132271683794

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D