Old February 9th 18, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Dickens:"The law is a ass."

On 08/02/2018 4:29 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 2:48:49 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
https://nypost.com/2018/01/30/trucke...anks-lax-laws/
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I'm curious why so many cyclists think death of a cyclist in an accident is a crime. Murder requires intent. Manslaughter requires "gross negligence." Accidents are not a crime, even if there is negligence, even if people die. Unless the driver did something way out of the ordinary that caused the accident- no crime occurred. The lawyer is absolutely right, the lapsed license is utterly irrelevant to the cause of the injury.

You don't think texting while driving is gross negligence? How about
driving drunk?

How about the recent discussion of the case in Boston with the
professional truck driver turning right from a middle lane and killing
someone?

I agree that accidents happen but when the event is caused by a reckless
disregard I don't think it's still an accident.

As far as the suspended license, it shows a propensity to this behavior.