Old February 29th 04, 03:11 PM
bert sclarz

Default chain and gear cleaning

What lube do you use?

Thanks for the feedback.

GABIKE wrote:
A friend recommended to use a brush to clean the dirt and sand from the
gears and derailer after each ride and to use a clean rag with some
wd-40 to clean the chain.

Be VERY VERY careful with WD40, if you get it into any of the bearings it will
eat our the grease.
Gear and chain cleaning depend on the types of rides you do. If you MTB and go
for a muddy ride, you need to clean after each ride. If you road bike you can
clean after every 100 to 200 miles unless you get into rain or some other
grime. After each ride I take a rag and wipe down my chain and inspect the
gears for crud, before each ride I put a small amount of lube and wipe of the
excess. I also reuse my cleaning fluid but I wouldnt use it more than twice.
A good rule of thumb is that if you come home with a chain ring tatoo on your
leg, its time for a good cleaning.