Old April 15th 21, 03:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

Default Questions about value of bicycles.

On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 08:08:42 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 7:55:50 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 16:15:22 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 13, 2021 at 4:07:45 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 13 Apr 2021 09:07:14 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 6:56:34 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Mon, 12 Apr 2021 15:45:40 -0700 (PDT), Tom Kunich
wrote:

On Monday, April 12, 2021 at 9:50:26 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 4/12/2021 8:56 AM, Lou Holtman wrote:

snip
I sold a couple of bikes just before Covid19 and I discovered that it is hard to sell a bike via the Dutch craiglist for a reasonable price if it doesn't have disc brakes, if not CF and for a ATB also is not 29". I think your bike would go for around 1500-200- euro over here. I tried to sell this bike:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/1dSJW6DxfgCTYJxXA
In the U.S., nearly everyone buying a new higher-end road bike wants
disc brakes whether it makes sense or not.

Electronic shifting is not necessarily seen as a plus by many buyers
because of the hassle of battery charging, and the extra complexity that
it adds.

Same in the U.S. regarding ATBs, a 26" wheeled ATB has almost no value,
though 27.5" sells well for shorter riders.

Tom needs to find all this out for himself, everyone here explaining
reality to him will have no effect. It's not uncommon for people to have
unrealistic ideas about what their used stuff is worth.
I will ask you again Scharf - what do you know about bicycles. Over and over again, on this group you are completely unable to make a single technically correct comment on bicycles.
And you have problems installing a Bottom Bracket and haven't yet
solved the problems with the head bearings... So, what do you know
about bicycles?

John, carefully explain to everyone here what you know about high end bicycles and how you learned it? The bottom bracket tool for installing the BB did not get shipped with it and a Park Tool substitute cost more than simply taking it to the shop. What makes you think that the headset once received didn't get easily installed? Please tell me how you now choose a correct headset with about two dozen standards?
Tell us Tom what is the mechanical difference between a high end and a
low end bicycle? Disregarding the wheels they both have two moving
parts and you had/have problems assembling both of them?
--
Cheers,

John B.
If that's what you think we need no longer include you in any conversation regarding modern technology.

What modern "technology" are we talking about here? The bottom
bracket? Two bearings and a shaft through the bearings? Or the
incredibly complex head bearings? You know, the gizmo that has two
bearings with the tube sticking through them?

As an aside, Tom's "modern technology has been used on bicycles for at
least a hundred and thirty years :-)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...0s_a nd_1890s
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yes John, you have shown over and over just how much you know about anything with two wheels on it.

Well Tommy I built a bike from the raw tubes and lugs and remarkably I
had no problems whatsoever installing the bottom bracket and the head
bearings. And I don't have 200 pounds of tools to cart around either.
--
Cheers,

John B.