Old September 27th 15, 09:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default AG: Easy on the Hills

On 9/27/2015 1:04 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sun, 27 Sep 2015 10:47:33 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

For some reason, people don't bother you if you rest in a cemetery...

Especially on Halloween!

There are two cemeteries on the route to Larwill. Unfortunately, they
are only a mile apart -- and less than seven miles from home. Seven
miles from the end of a ride would be a good time to set a spell, but
I never come back that way.

Hmm. Since we had mentioned Halloween, your phrase "set a spell"
suggested a different meaning for a moment. (Witchcraft??? Oh, just a
rest...)

The gas station in Larwill has a tiny table with two chairs; if I buy
a newspaper, nobody notices me.

They also serve made-on-the-premises pizza by the slice. (Now I'm
eager for cool weather so that I can haul cheese fifteen miles without
hauling ice thirty.)

There's a cemetery on the road to Mentone, but I don't think that that
is the road I plan to use the next time I go there. Checks Google
Maps By George, it's right at the corner where I will turn west.

I've led many rides for my bike club over the decades. One I did
several times was called "Tour de Tombs." We visited something like six
or seven cemeteries, sometimes to see the graves of prominent local
citizens, sometimes for some historic interest, but often just for the
beautiful sculpture and architecture.

I've read, and been told by a historian, that cemeteries functioned as
parks in earlier America. They can be pleasant places indeed. One that
I frequently ride through at night has a couple curious barred owls.
They're surprisingly tame and friendly.

--
- Frank Krygowski