Old August 1st 03, 07:35 PM
Rick Onanian

Default More on disk brakes and wheel ejection

I should put on lead armor before diving into this thread, but....

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:20:24 GMT, wrote:
How about a closed dropout with a new standard for attaching the
front wheel?

I see, you are trying to make friends with the many bicyclists who
enjoy having easily changeable wheels. I don't think you are being any
more realistic about this than your tightening theory. At about this
point your admonition to "think about it" comes to mind.

Why is the current QR system the _only_ one that could be easy?

On my mountain bike, I have to flip the QR lever and then
hand-unscrew the opposite side of the skewer partway. Why not
close the dropout slots into holes, and make a skewer that's
just a little quicker to unscrew all the way off and pull out
of the wheel?

Then, no tools required, and pretty much the same time to
remove and replace the wheel. The only situation where it
could be a problem is in a race.

I imagine the only thing to change from the current system is
the dropout, and minor change to skewers (which could still fit
in existing wheels and be used in existing slotted dropouts).

Disclaimer: I don't know what I'm talking about, and am a damn
fool. There, I said it for you. G

Jobst Brandt

Palo Alto CA

--