Old August 1st 03, 10:43 PM
Rick Onanian

Default More on disk brakes and wheel ejection

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 17:25:53 -0400, Stergios Papadakis
wrote:
No, you'd just pull the skewer right out of the wheel.

You should go look at your bike.
The front wheel's axle fits into the dropouts. It is not just the skewer
in the dropouts. Go ahead and pull your skewer out with someone

I knew there was a reason why it wouldn't work...but I
figured I'd suggest it anyway.

As soon as I read this far, I remembered just how it
goes together, and why it wouldn't work.

What you are proposing is dangerous.

Agreed.

I guess a new system would, in fact, have to be made
which wouldn't be compatible with old skewers and hubs,
but I suspect it could be made compatible with old
dropouts...not that anybody would have any reason to use
a new, structural-skewer wheel with old, slotted dropouts.

All of that said, I bet a proper engineer, or even myself
on a more creative day, could come up with a workable
system that's more compatible.

And, even so, it wouldn't be worth it; it has been said
over and over in this thread that moving the caliper a
little bit, or changing the angle/direction of the
dropout, would eliminate the whole issue. Sounds like
a lot easier than redesigning the QR wheel attachment
system.

Stergios

--
Rick Onanian