Old August 9th 07, 03:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Shimano wheel - bearing upgrade

Picked up a new Shimano's R560 wheelset. Anyone know if the bearings
setup can be upgraded with Dura-Ace (level) cup & cones (and grade 25
balls)? The bearings feel way rougher than Dura Ace wheels. Or are the
bearings setup the same level (doubtful given the price) and just need
to be "broken in"? Of course, I'll take it apart and add grease as
shop owners here have stated Shimano stuff often comes undergreased.

Also, would the pro's recommend completely de-tuning and tensioning or
just a simple truing? These are the first wheelset with nipples at the
hub so don't know how user friendly (durable) the nipples are to post-
production manipulation.

Pls no need to preach about the benefits of handbuilt wheels to the
choir - I build my own. I just wanted to try them as event wheels
(e.g. TTs) for the aero advantage of low spoke count and bladed spokes.