Old August 30th 17, 04:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Jobst

On Tuesday, August 29, 2017 at 6:52:08 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 08:45:25 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Monday, August 28, 2017 at 5:35:31 PM UTC-7, Tim McNamara wrote:
On 8/28/2017 11:43 AM,
wrote:

Every war since WW I was gone into from a Democrat President while
the Democrat party has been accusing Republicans of being war
mongers.

Hmm. Many of the wars the US was involved in were the reuslts of
treaty obligations and critical US interests, the roots of whihc
typically predated the president in office at the time (whether
Republican or Democrat) the shooting started.

Just to pick a few that started shooting under Republican presidents
post WW 1: The Lebanon Crisis (Eisenhower), Lebanese Civil War (Reagan),
invasion of Grenada (Reagan), bombing of Libya (Operation El Dorado
Canyon- Reagan), Operations Earnest Will/Prime Chance in the Persian
Gulf (Reagan), invasion of Panama (GHW Bush), the Gulf War (GHW Bush),
inervention in the Somali civil war (GHW Bush), the war in Afghanistan
(GW Bush), the Iraq War (GW Bush), the war in North-west Pakistan (GW
Bush). That list is not fully comprehensive of all the operations as
some are (Desert Storm, Desert Shield, etc.) are under the larger
umbrella conflicts mentioned above.

There were also conflicts that started under Democratic presidents, but
Tom didn't declare that those didn't happen so I don't need to enumerate
them.

Eisenhower under treaty with France supplied military advisers to French Indochina as Vietnam was called then. Kennedy decided that America would be much better off with a war instead of looking on.

You got it wrong again. In about 1950 the U.S. formed a so called
Military Assistance Advisory Group (MAAG) which managed the supply of
some 10 million dollars in military equipment to support the French
efforts in Vietnam.

MAAG, by the way is simply a term used to denote a group which liaises
with another government's military, that may or may not include
advisers.

As part of this "assistance" the U.S. loaned, lend leased, whatever
you call it, some B-26 aircraft and supplied maintenance crews and
parts for the airplanes, which were stationed at Saigon's airport.
these aircraft were flown by French flight crews.

In addition I believe there were a number of transport aircraft
airplanes.

As far as I know, from friends who were assigned to the B-26 group and
went to Vietnam there were no so called military advisors. U.S.A.F.
people maintained the airplanes and the French flew them.

Since I got that directly from the New York Times you'll have to explain it to them.

But maintenance crews can hardly be called combat troops would it? I never felt I was in the war until I was being shot at. What do you suppose that service cross was for?