Old November 27th 17, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default FLU

On 2017-11-26 09:16, AMuzi wrote:

This is a false dichotomy in that all of it can be true and likely is.
Choice is good, neither city nor rural life being perfect and humans
being by their nature a diverse lot.

Though as humans we need to recognize when we are damaging our bodies
and the denser the area the more that will happen. This is also why
I'll never understand people who say "Away with cycle paths, bicycles
belong on the road". I find that, sorry to say, stupid. Why would
anyone in their right mind want to travel alongside noisy and
polluting combustion engines buzzing by?

Another false dichotomy. Riding on the road does not mean ingesting
significant pollution. Several studies have shown that even in city
traffic, cyclists ingest less pollution than motor vehicle operators.
Other studies have shown that bicycle commuters live far longer than
those commuting by other means.

Ah yes, you have a magic energy shield around you so the fumes part
right in front of your face. Phhht. I can literally smell just about any
Diesel that comes by.

Cars have HEPA filters and a cocoon-like innard in whcih the operator
resideth, bicycles ... don't.

Besides, almost all of my riding involves relatively little traffic even
though I rarely use bike paths. I enjoy riding quiet roads, where I may
be passed by fewer than 20 cars per hour. But even on utility trips in
the city or its suburbs, I can usually choose quieter streets. On our
runs to the grocery store, we choose a route that gives us six miles
round trip. We'll typically be passed by only a dozen cars.

Good luck trying that where a metropolis is 30mi or closer. I sometimes
have to ride during rush our and then it's almost bumper to bumper.

I suppose in some idealistic theory, we could convince the government to
build a separate bike trail between our house and that grocery. But what
if we need to get to the library instead? Or the pharmacy? Or the
hardware store? Or the doctor's office? Or my best friend's house?
Should I stay off my bike until the government builds separate paths to
each of those places, plus all the others I want to visit?

If you move to a place such as Folsom, chances are you will find bike
facilities to all of those or at least for the major part of the ride.
Which is why I prefer to do my errand rides there and not in other
communities. So do others. Which results in higher sales tax collections
there. Which results in even better bike path coverage. Which causes
more people to move there. Which ...

Sorry, Joerg. I chose instead to learn to ride on the roads, and I do so
in perfect comfort and safety. You should try that. https://abea.bike/
Even you can learn to do it.

I know how to ride.

--