Old January 13th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Default Frustrations Learning to Ride: Mental Block and *Really* Sore Knees?

I used to have some knee pain and I discovered it was because my knees
were diving to the inside (the pain was a bit less w/ longer cranks for
me). I tended to do this at technical spots, when I was about to loose
control, and on hills. Two weeks of focusing onconsously keeping my
knees in line w/ my feet cured this, starting on my bike, and later on
the uni by looking down, at my shadow, or reflection in a window. I
still need to pay attention to this every once in a while.

Increasing the strength of my lower abs and hip flexors helped reduce
the # and severity of my UPD's.

For UPD's you can't run out, practice doing running falls onto grass.
Run then dive putting your hands down w/ your arms bent, and roll over
one shoulder. Practice this until you are equally comfortable w/
touching either foot last and rolling to either side (six combinations
total).

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'