Old February 1st 07, 06:04 PM posted to misc.fitness.aerobic,rec.running,rec.sport.triathlon,rec.bicycles.misc
D Stumpus

Default How Accurate Are Those Monitors, Anyway?

"Prisoner at War" wrote

I'm on some elliptical at the gym, have been doing it 40 minutes three
times a week, each session the machine read-out claims I've lost
~850-900 calories (range due to variable intensity)...how accurate is
that?

Probably not very. 850 calories is what a 155# guy would burn running 8
miles or so. Can you run 8 miles in 40 minutes (5:00/mile pace)? Do you
run at all? That would be national class talent. That's the kind of output
you're talking here...

The heart rate is probably more accurate than the calorie count. If the
heartrate backs off when you slow down, and increases gradually throughout
the session as you get fatigued, and keep pushing, that's a sign that both
your heart and the monitor are working properly.

There's also the heart rate monitor that has me at the upper celing of
my target heart range (which is supposed to be ~142-157 for a 35 y.o.)
for almost all 40 minutes, which I find incredible, too...

Go out and see how far you can run in 40 minutes. Multiply each mile by the
calories per mile given by the following calculator and see what you get.

Here's a calorie calculator for running:
http://www.stevenscreek.com/goodies/calories.shtml