Old December 6th 18, 05:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default What kind of pump am I supposed to use on this bike?

On Wed, 05 Dec 2018 16:12:19 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 12/5/2018 3:57 PM, news18 wrote:

The only oddity is the plastic "fingers' on the HPX to have one end
mate to a part of the frame. The Zefal MTN bike pump is just a fatter,
shorter version of the old brass pump.

Well, yes, but in fairness the distinguishing feature of HPX is a very
functional simple method to compress the valve seal tightly by throwing
the lever. The flip side of that is simple, easy release (the lack of
which riders bitch about with certain other pumps).

Well, YMMV, but IME it is the only bicycle hand pump that has that
feature. I've found it on both bicycle floor pumps and just about every
motor vehicle tyre ground pump I've had, so I didn't think it was
particularly innovative.

Ingeniously, the head disassembles easily with fingers, another positive
design feature IMHO.

The other thing I noticed was the narrow bore which meant you could pump
to a higher pressure by hand than the old common pumps.

Not to discount your note on ZĂ©fal wings, the first replaceable nylon
frame interface, but that wasn't all HPX brought to us.

any way.