Old January 24th 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
bikerrex

Default Surly Long Haul Trucker

"Trad touring on a budget" sounds about right.

I'm looking for something suited to 100 - 150 km days for a week straight
(with one or two 200 kms thrown in). There'd be two panniers with camp/cook
gear on the back, but at most a handlebar bag up front.

The terrain around here tops out at about 600 feet, but it's all up and down
(eastern Newfoundland), and some of the descents do make you think twice
about your braking system.

I've done this sort of thing already on one of those "cheap aluminium
*******s" you describe. Was wondering if LHT would be dramatic improvement?
LHT comes with either 26" or 700 CC wheels; was thinking the former more
suitable for me.

"landotter" wrote in message
On Jan 21, 5:09 pm, "Rex Button" wrote:
I'm collecting opinions on it.

Anything to offer?

It's the best deal going spec wise if you want a trad touring bike on
a budget. Does that make it right for you? Who knows, except you.
There are plenty of other options if you want a practical and sturdy
bike, few of which you'll see on the sales floor of the average bike
shop. So give details. You might be more of a fit with the Surly Cross-
Check, which is a bit lighter and sportier, but incompatible with big
feet if ya wanna run panniers, or you might live in the PNW and be a
candidate for something with disc brakes. You could be a cheap *******
like me and discover the joys of riding an upgraded aluminum hybrid
with funky trekking bars like those right-pondians do.