Old June 14th 10, 02:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Bike recommendations for a friend, please.

On Jun 14, 4:07*am, Dan wrote:
On 6/13/2010 9:27 PM, SMS wrote:

On 12/06/10 1:52 PM, Dan wrote:
I have a woman friend who is slightly on the heavy side, and is thinking
of getting into biking. She is about 30 years old, and while she has
biked a bit in the past, it was limited then, and it's been a number
years. I'm thinking a hybrid or "comfort" bike would be a good start for
her. She would likely be riding primarily in the city, back and forth to
work and perhaps light shopping, and maybe on paved trails. Any
suggestions of specific makes/models? She lives in Canada, and is
looking to spend about $400.

Jamis Explorer 2.0. Not sure about the price in Canada, but in the U.S.
it usually sells for right around USD $400 before tax.

"http://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/thebikes/sportcomfort/explorer/10_explo....".

The riding position is very adjustable due to the threaded headset and
adjustable quill stem. There's a step through model if she prefers that..

Thanks Landotter & SMS, the Jamis line looks like a good possibility,
I'll pass them on to her.

My buddy D. was pushing the big 30 and got himself an Explorer 2, not
having ridden since he was a kid. Worked out great for him. He's doing
all sorts of neighborhood riding--and the design of the bike prevents
the stuff that new riders get discouraged by--sore hands, back, and
bottom. Of course it's not a hillclimbing bike, and you don't want to
spin on it, but it's not set up a lot differently than your average
omafiets either--he can keep it for errands if or when he gets a
zootier ride.