Old November 29th 04, 07:34 PM
A.Lee

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 18:19:48 +0000, Paul Reading wrote:

Ken Livingson has added a clause to the "Local Authorities Bill" which
will allow his private clampers to cut off and seize any bicycle
chained to anything......This is utter madness and goes against any kind
of environmental thinking. London make no provision for parking bikes,
BR has removed them from all commuter trains and most others as well.

I would assume they mean removing any bikes attached to street
'furniture'.
This happens in Rotterdam regularly.There are many 'proper' bike parking
spaces, but these soon get filled up, so people in a rush chain their bike
to the nearest street light or tree,rather than travelling a little
further to park in a legitimate spot.
A Council van then comes round,takes a photo, then cuts off the chain and
takes the bike to the 'bike pound'. I dont know if there is a fine to get
the bike back, but I would assume there is.
Alan.

http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.