Old March 30th 12, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_3_]

Default Racing cyclist that killed a pedestrian at a crossing

Organisers of the London Triathlon face a huge fine after a pensioner was
killed by a cyclist on the racecourse.

Alhaj Jain Ullah, 67, was trying to cross the track at a supervised crossing
point when the cyclist smashed into him in Wapping.

Mr Ullah, who walked with a stick after a stroke, was thrown into the air
and landed several feet away, Snaresbrook crown court heard.

Witnesses said there was panic as competitors, including a medical student
and an off-duty policeman, got off their bikes to help Mr Ullah on August 2,
2009. He was taken to the Royal London Hospital in a critical condition and
died five days later.

Judge Timothy Lamb said: "I am used to hearing expressions of remorse in
mitigation from defendants in these cases." Mr Ullah (victim's son) said:
"The judge had to comment before their barrister would say anything. It just
shows the level of remorse they feel. The fine doesn't mean anything to me.
If they'd admitted their guilt already, they could at least have started off
with an apology."

IMG (race organisers) will be sentenced later this month.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/c...t-7603300.html