Old January 8th 04, 03:32 PM
Scott

Default experiences with bicycle trailers for kids?

Andrea wrote:
Hi all,

I am planning on buying a trailer for my husband and myself to take my kids
to school, and also for lovely summer rides. I also want to get fit!

Could you please share your experience of them?

Many thanks in advance,

We used a Burley (this was before the D'Lite came out) and it
did the job. It wasn't an easy thing biking up hills, and I
broke a couple chains, but I had 2 kids and 2 backpacks in it,
so probably an extra 100 pounds all told. They seem safe
enough -- the one time it flipped, the son slept through the
whole thing (I think he was 1.5ish, securely buckled in, but
upside down after flipping). They do add considerable drag,
however, so biking into a strong wind is not for the faint
of heart. I understand there are other models now that are
significantly more streamlined. Back in the age when my
kids were young, however, the choices were pretty limited.

As a bonus, they seem to hold onto their value fairly well
if you take care of them. We sold ours for $250 at a
garage sale after using it for 3+ years, including winters!
Maybe the buyer was an idiot, but it only takes one idiot
to make your day

We did get the wheel attachment, which I recommend, so you
can use it as a jogging stroller. Not that I ever jog,
but it was convenient for walking the kids to the library,
grocery store, etc.

Scott, really at netscape dot net