Old August 31st 19, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default Parts and Tariffs

On Sat, 31 Aug 2019 13:33:44 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Saturday, August 31, 2019 at 2:57:34 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:

I see in today's paper that pork in Beijing moved from 18
yuan/kilo to 32 this year and rising on trade limits and
swine flu (weigh that out - both are factors). That's really
nice for Iowa.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Not really. Pork is down 50% since April. And current price is about equal to what it was one year ago. So despite swine flu and other problems, pork has stayed the same for one year. China is just doing without meat and/or buying it from other parts of the world. I suspect the pork market, as well as the soybean business that has moved to Brail and Argentina, will never return to the USA. Its gone forever.

According to what I read, yes the price of pork in China is up and
imports are up, but it is a result of swine fever not import/export
duties.

Wholesale pork spot prices were at 21.55 yuan a kilogram on June 14,
up 12% from the same period last year.

Import growth for the whole year will likely be capped as China is
shunning U.S. supplies due to the trade spat between the two
countries, said Jim Huang, chief executive officer of
China-data.com.cn, a consultant for the agriculture industry.
--

Cheers,

John B.