Old June 15th 11, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn °_°

Default Singapore Bikes

On 6/15/2011 3:20 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Jun 15, 3:33�pm, Jay wrote:
On Jun 15, 8:58�am, Frank wrote:

On Jun 14, 8:05�pm, john wrote:

The interesting thing is that there are no bike lanes and no special
rules for bikes. Bicycles seem to be treated as just another highway
user. You see them peddling along the side of the road, stopping for
stop lights and hardly ever on the sidewalks as bicycles and
motorcycles are forbidden to ride on sidewalks which are reserved for
foot traffic.

The idea that somehow you are different because you ride a bicycle to
work that I've noticed on various groups doesn't seem to exist and a
bicycle is viewed as just another variety of transportation.

By the way, no lycra, no foam hats, no half gloves. Just normal
attire.

In other words, Singapore proves that a city can have lots of
bicycling without weird multicolored bike lanes, barrier separated
"bike tracks," special traffic lights, etc.

And people can ride bicycles and feel adequately safe without weird
plastic hats and day-glo clothing.

Can someone please let the American "bike advocates" know? �Start with
Andy Clarke, John Pucher and Mia Birk.

(Of course, telling them to abandon fear mongering would be like like
telling them to abandon their life's work.)

Well, then there is Holland with separate bicycle facilities. �If you
believe that is the proper model, then current efforts in the USA are
woefully inadequate. We should be condemning rights of way to put in
extensive bicycle avenues -- maybe through your living room.

Of course, I don't think we need such things. Or rather, we need them
only in a few unusual places.[...]

Indeed. The primary places special separated bicycle lanes are needed
are bridges on controlled access roads where there is not a nearby
bridge that is bicycle accessible.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.