Old September 26th 18, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Default BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without number plates

news18 writes:

On Wed, 26 Sep 2018 09:55:59 -0400, Radey Shouman wrote:

news18 writes:

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018 20:22:43 +0200, Sepp Ruf wrote:

Kids, keep busy swapping those plates,

The details of the plates would be interesting, aka how easy to
counterfeit or collect a set of snazzy/cool/wicked/whatever sayings.

Some towns in my vicinity issued bicycle plates quite a while ago
(1950s?). They are now collectors' items, albeit not worth a great
deal. I still have a sticker on the down tube of my bicycle issued by
the University of Texas in the 1980s, as I recall they threatened to
remove any bicycles locked on campus without one, it was promulgated as
an anti-theft measure.

Fat lot of good a sticker would have done at my university during the
70's, The thieves were reported as driving around with a truck and a
big pair of bolt cutters. No fancy U bolts then. Case hardened chain if
you didn't mind the weight.

I'm reasonably sure it didn't do any good at mine either.

As I mentioned in another post, when I had some mods on a new frame, it
got the worst paint job a gungy brush could give. They ignored it and
targetted the "new bikes".