Old September 27th 18, 05:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default BBC: Children to be banned from cycling to school without numberplates

On 9/26/2018 10:23 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

One nice thing about having a bicycle license plate is that quickly
ends arguments as to whether bicycles have an equal right to the road.
With a state issued bicycle registration and licence plate, one can
claim equality with automobiles.

I claim equality with automobile drivers by citing the law. Amazingly,
telling them the state code number has worked several times, almost like
magic. The last guy said "Oh, I didn't know that. I'm sorry, sir."

It doesn't always work, of course. A couple encounters have led to
shouting matches; but when that's happened, I've said "Let's call the
police! Let's get them right here right now!" Those guys haven't gotten
any smarter, but they have backed down.

Understand, these problems are vanishingly rare for me. Almost all
motorists treat me just fine.

Oh, and it's good to keep in mind that motorist aggression isn't just a
car vs. bike thing. Last night on a freeway drive, I was in the left
lane passing a slower car. A tractor-trailer driver swung out behind me
when I was just inches past the car's rear bumper, then turned on his
bright headlights because he apparently wanted me to pass faster.

I did what I usually do with tailgaters: I slowed down a bit, because I
don't believe in rewarding bad behavior. So I added maybe 30 seconds to
his travel time. But when he did pass me, he deliberately swerved a bit
into my lane.

There are bullies out there.

--
- Frank Krygowski