Old July 3rd 04, 11:15 PM
mfhor

Default Five cyclists cleared

hippy wrote:
Originally posted by Marty Wallace The five cyclists named by banned
cyclist Mark French have been cleared for selection in the Athens
Olympic Games team.

I guess that's a good thing... ?
hippy

Leaves young Mr. French looking a bit silly. Was he using an "If I go
down, all you guys are going down with me!!!" approach, like the best
James Bond villains?

All the hoo-hah won't have won him any friends. He might be short of a
training partner or two in the coming months.

And if EgH is as ineffective for humans as someone has told me, why the
heck did he have it anyway? The risk without any benefit?

He used to come into the shop I worked in a few years ago, and was darn
sure what he wanted you to do for him, or his bike, right now, because
he was Mark French. Had to have the best bike in the shop, the lightest
wheels, the matching bar tape - not strictly necessary when you're 15.
But not a bad lad, all in all. Perhaps he just wanted success quickly,
like he wanted his wheel trued quickly, or his gears adjusted quickly,
or his single stuck down yesterday (shellac takes time to dry), because
he had more important places to go and people to see than some old bike
shop he got stuff off for nearly nothing.

Then he dumped us and went off to somewhere else which had shinier
toys, quicker.

Perhaps that's what it is with racers. They are always chasing that
indefinable something round the next corner, hoping that if they ride
fast enough, they'll catch it. Perhaps they should just sit down once in
a while, before they're forced to, and look around. Look at all the
people and places around you they've been ignoring (or abusing) for so
long in a singleminded quest to get over the next metre of pavement
quicker than their rivals. You can't live life by taking shortcuts and
expect not to miss bits, or get lost.

As "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" has it, "...the cycle you
are working on is yourself".

The best thing about the TdF is the scenery, which few of the riders
have time to see.

M"sorry about the brain fart"H