Old August 2nd 07, 03:49 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
GeeDubb

Default RR's: AMB-ID 07 -Recap- Camping, Riding, Swimming

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Jul 31, 5:11 pm, Paladin wrote:
Hardest part of these weekends is being able to ride hard stuff at
elevation, where it feels like you can't take in enough oxygen to save
your life. Our second ride had a fire road climb of about 7 milesl,
with a gain of about 2,200ft, but most of it was in the last 2 miles,
and that sucked! Our Marine, Highway Patrol Coffee Man did it
without stopping, but he's plain nuckin futz.

Jim and Carla were brave & bold enough to just come out one year and
ride with a bunch of us, (04?) and they came from NY, so it can be
done.

CDB- Hide quoted text -

I've figured the elevation would be a killer. I guess I'll have to do
some riding up high in our local mountains, see how the lungs like
it. I figure if the New Yorkers can do it, so can I!
We have to come out and try, anyway. If the elevation kills us and we
end up slow, not the end of the world. It's not like we'll be riding
with a group of locals to slow them down, with the exception of likely
1 guided ride/tour just to cover some of the tourist traps.

If your aerobic fitness is good the elevation shouldn't be that big of an
issue. Sure you'll suck wind and feel like your lungs are ready to burst
into flames but after 20 minutes or so you'll acclimate.....sort of.
Altitude really starts to be a factor at 10K feet.

Gary (desert boy that rides the highs-not enough)