Old September 25th 18, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Chicago: Minus one cyclist

On Mon, 24 Sep 2018 17:42:27 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 9/24/2018 1:54 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
This might be amusing|disgusting|informative:
"Single Bicycle Crashes at Skewed Rail Crossing"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfeQvbIFBks (3:57)
(Note that the video is 2X faster than reality).

ISTM that almost all the cyclists who fell made it safely across the
first track, but fell when their front wheel hit the second rail. I
don't know why that is. Do you?

Good observation. My guess(tm) is that the heavier ground loading on
the rear wheel would tend to force the tire into the funnel cross
section rail channel far more than the lighter ground load on the
front wheel.

Maybe:
https://www.ilovebicycling.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/angled-railroad-tracks1.jpg

Of course! "Ye Magicke Greene Paint" solves all problems, doesn't it?

Yep. Anything painted green is owned by the cyclists. Anything
painted black belongs to the cars, buses, and trucks. Anything
painted white belongs to parked cars or pedestrians. Or, something
like that.

"How to Properly Cross Rail Tracks on your Bike"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSogGOjEDnI (1:12)
Notice how the two riders in the video both cut across the corners.

The two final cyclists shown in the overhead view don't come close to
"90 degree angle" but they came close enough, at least when it was dry.
When it's wet, closer to perpendicular would be better.

Yep, that what I meant by cutting across the (inside) corner.

I notice the speaker said "... taking a lane like a cyclist should..."
but of course, those are fighting words in some quarters.

Careful. The color code of the road, as I previously mumbled,
indicates that anything black belongs to the automobile. In order to
take the lane, a cyclist would need to carry a can of green spray
paint.

Drivel: Duz this mean that I should wear a Pickelhaube helmet?
https://www.phoenix.gov/streetssite/MediaAssets/Understanding%20Symbols%20-%20Bike%20Lane%201.jpg
https://www.google.com/search?q=pickelhaube&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann