Old March 6th 04, 04:03 PM
Pete Jones

Default reviews of the Trek 8500 of 2004?

On 5 Feb 2004 22:31:08 -0800, (JD) wrote:

Treks break when ridden regularly as a mountain bike. You see, trek,
like many other cookie cutter bike companies bank on their bikes not
being used much after initial purchase. Joe Consumer sees a mtn dew
commercial, goes out and buys a bike from them. Joe proceeds to ride
the bike and finds out it's real work and therefore is a drag. Bike
ends up being a car chamois drying rack in Joe's garage, on eBay, or
on a paved bike path two Saturdays a year when the weather is perfect.
The loss factor on those bikes that are actually used and are broken
is a given to them, especially since the high volume of chamois dryers
sold pays for the few that have to be warrantied.

A South African lass I know is currently cycling through Chile; she'd
asked me what bike to get for the trip; I warned her off Trek after my
own experiences and suggested a Marin (Bear Valley, I think it was).
In my last email I asked how the bike was holding up to what seems to
be some tough cycling. Got a reply today: no problems, but.....

Steve the US guy I cycled with had major problems and funny he worked
in a bike shop too.....he bought a trek 5000 (mmm i remembered what
you said about treks) Anyway from day 1 the stupid thin wheels and
tyries have given him huge problems constantly, putting him in a foul
mood, at least 1 -2 problems per day...no spares -only ****ty chile
crap. Anyway he is now limping along somewhere i Chile and has had to
get on a bus to Santiago to get stuff. Rims have given up , funny and
he was giving me a run down on what i should get before we set off and
even offered to get me a Trek 5000 !!

!

Pete