Old October 13th 11, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

Default Rethinking getting Surly Long Haul Trucker frame?

On Oct 12, 5:19*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Oct 12, 11:47*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

Hi there.

I'm rethinking getting a Surly Long Haul Trucker frameset.

I was about to go to the shop to get measured for a Surly Long Haul
Trucker frame.

*BUT*

The Surly website says that there is only a *3 year limited warranty*
on the frame and also *Not* to use a kickstand as the frame is not
designed for the loads a kickstand can produce. This is with either a
chainstay mounted one or one that mounts on the rear chainstay/
seatstay area.

This frame's regular price here is $550.00 CDN and is on sale for
$340.00 for a short time on existing stock.

Why only a 3 year warranty on a steel frame? I expected a lifetime
limited warranty at least on a steel touring frame. A 3 year limited
warranty on what's suposed to be a quality steel heavy duty touring
frame just doesn't make sense to me. Even many department store steel
BSOs have lifetime warranties on the frame. Again, why such a short
warranty period from Surly for the LHT frame? Has the quality dropped
a lot from what it used to be?

Any light you can shed on why there's such a short warranty period
will be immensely appreciated by me.

It's a commodity bike.

I like my LHT (at least I've grown used to it). *I got mine as a
complete bike, which I think offers a pretty decent complement of
components - compromised here and there for cost but not too much in
most of the places that matter, and I have replaced a few things to my
preference.

I will point out one quality indicator: *The front fork canti studs
appear (visibly) to be out of parallel alignment, which I suspect is
the cause of brake squeal that I have not been able to adjust away.

You're due a replacement fork under warranty.