Old February 21st 18, 03:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Ouch. This happened to me once

On 2/20/2018 2:54 PM, Joerg wrote:

It's not that American bike facility planners never mess up but after
having lived long enough in Germany, the Netherland and the US I can
rightfully say that the German bike facility planners are the worst of
the three groups. By far.

We've just been looking at examples of American facilities that did not
work and British facilities that did not work. Jay has talked at length
about the faults with many of Portland's bike facilities. (Their bike
boxes, installed to reduce right hooks, instead increased right hooks
greatly.) We've talked at length about Stevenage and Milton Keynes in
England, towns purpose-built with state of the art separate bike
facilities that don't work. I recall reading about an Ottowa, Canada
cycle track that scored three car-bike crashes in its first three weeks.
A Columbus, Ohio cycle track (on Summit Street) had 11 car-bike crashes
in its first year of operation. The same stretch of road had only 6
car-bike crashes in the four years prior to the beginning of
construction. The "bicycle highways" through London generated a cluster
of crossing conflict fatalities a few years ago.

Joerg, don't pretend it's just incompetent designers in America, or
Germany, or Canada, or England. There are too many examples. Basic
physics and fundamental principles of traffic movement argue against
many of the designs you tout. And green paint or copious warning signs
can't prevent crashes caused by illogical traffic interactions.

--
- Frank Krygowski