Old September 17th 07, 08:02 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
You

Default Black bear attacks mountain biker in Washington State park

In article .com,
wrote:

Hi, I'm new to this com method but have enjoyed the dialogue and wish
to add something. My Standard Poodle and I were attacked near Ashland,
OR on September 10th. I was returning from hiking a remote trail above
my home and the dog, unleashed and about 15 yards ahead, evidently
bumped into the bear and a short fight occurred. The dog has about 20
stictches in her left hind quarter but has pretty much recovered
already. As the dog yelped and exited Manzanita trailside shrubs, she
ran toward me with the bear, possibly a young male, re-focused on me,
snarling and growling at my feet. I had hiking poles and was waving
them at him and screaming loudly as he charged. When he got very
close, I got my hiking poles in his face and continued yelling at the
top of my lungs. The dog, somewhere behind me, was awol, just as well.
I used the poles like the Kitsap fellow tried to use his bike. I'm 6'
3". After about a minute during which I thought there was a good
chance of him biting and clawing me, he backed slowly down the trail
and exited the way he came. I've hiked in bear habitat for forty years
and seen bears. I have a healthy respect for them but have not been
particularly fearful and take standard precautions. I believe this
bear was surprised by my dog and protecting his territory. Folks like
me have intruded on the bears over the years but I was within two
miles of my home and I don't plan on staying inside. I have added bear
spray to my shirt pocket and would have used it as he remained at
arm's length for some time during the encounter. Charlie Kehoe,
Ashland, OR

Hmmm, Seems to "Me", that you should teach your Doggie, to heal,
and stay closer to you, while in the woods. Your encounter with
the the Black Bear, is one of many encounters, that are caused
by the same set of circumstances.

Doggie runs out of sight, of owner. Doggie encounters Bear. Doggie
Starts barking, and harassing Black Bear. Black Bear is startled, and
goes on defense, but can't catch the little pest. Black Bear finally
goes "Postal" and whacks Doggie with paw. Doggie learns Bears are
dangerous, and heads for Master, Post Haste. Enraged Black Bear chases
after Doggie, in Fullout Attack Mode. Master sees Doggie returning, with
Black Bear on it's trail, coming like a "Strong Wind on a Nasty Day".
Master dumps load in his/her shorts.

The ending of the senerio, is variable, depending on the stance of the
"Master", the bluff of the Bear, and the size, and age of the Bear.
It is about 50/50 if you get munched. Usually younger Male Black Bears
with little human interaction, will continue on, and munch you. Older
and more habituated Black Bears, will bluff charge, and then when
confronted with what they preceive as a "Bigger, Noisier, and Meaner,
Specie, will retreat.

Black Bear Software is really very primative, but when in Fullout
Attach Mode, Sensual Interupts are Masked, and it takes a BIG
Hardware Interupt, to break out of that Mode. Usually a Good Whack on
the Nose, does it, but there are instances, where that just doesn't
work, and then your LUNCH.

Charlie, you have no idea just how lucky you are...........