Old September 21st 17, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ian Field

Default Reasonable expectation...............

On 2017-09-14 10:32, Ian Field wrote:
The bike I built up on a frame I dragged out of a hedge has a seized
seat post.

So far; I've slackened the clamp bolt and give it a squirt of PTFE
penetrating oil at least once a day - is there a reasonable expectation
that it might work loose?

If it's a steel frame and steel post probably not. If both aluminum,
maybe. Other tricks:

Stand the bike on its head and let penetrating out run from the BB area
down inside the seat tune. Let it sit like this for days. The drain hole
in the BB tube could suffice to get the oil in there without having to
remove the BB (if that ever comes out).

Can't remember how much grease I packed in the BB housing - that trick might
not work.

Last time i posted it was totally stuck solid. last night I was able to
force it round just a little bit - Can't be 100% certain the seat clamp
wasn't turning on the post, but I tightened the clamp as hard as possible
last time.