Old March 1st 18, 08:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On 2018-02-28 12:56, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:10:44 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 2/28/2018 1:58 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 2/28/2018 1:44 PM, jbeattie wrote:

As a society, we used to have a reasonable perspective on pets.
We didn't have a neurotic attachment to dogs as some sort of
furry Xanax.

Or some sort of furry beast that needs Xanax. See
http://dogaware.com/articles/wdjanxiety.html

I know a guy who began dating a rather quirky woman. The woman
sort of gradually moved into his house, something he should not
have let happen. Among her many quirks, she loved dogs and felt
it was her mission in life to rescue one from the local pound.
She "rescued" a _large_ dog with many problems.

Well: The guy was forced to build a large pen for the large dog,
because it wasn't really controllable, despite being on Xanax or
Prosac or some such thing. And eventually, despite the pills, the
dog attacked the guys dear granddaughters.

Soon after that, the dog was gone. And not much later, the woman
was gone too.

Oh, women then.

I met an old friend, an active cyclist in her late-70s, for
breakfast in January. She walked into the diner with a yapping
little demon and I gave her The Stare, asking, 'A dog in a
restaurant?' as the clientele and my beloved waitresses quietly
tried not to overreact.

She very loudly exclaimed that she had paid a doctor $100 for a
certificate so she can go just anywhere with it. Needless to say
I'll miss her company.

Play your cards right, and you can make a pretty penny.
http://gorgenewscenter.com/2018/02/2...-service-dogs/

How do people say with a straight face that a dog can perform "a
chest compression maneuver." Mo
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-no...ned_woman.html

Well, MY dog can give injections and perform a routine prostate exam
with its nose.

Even if you won't believe it, trained dogs can predict an oncoming
epileptic seizure. Before something really bad happens, not when it's
too late. Now who else can do that? Can you?

... It is also proficient with Turbo Tax.

Nah, the tax reform through them a curve.

I've had two plane flights sitting next to someone with a supposed
therapy dog. I saw no therapies administered. Not so much as a back
rub.

The dog could have relieved the pilots, flown the aircraft and defended
against the enemy at the same time:

http://art.cafimg.com/images/Categor...47061gpadd.jpg

I had that picture in max size on the driver side door of my old
Citroen. The reaction inside passing cars with kids in the back was
priceless.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

This post came over sans response :-)

Appropriately so, because now we're meandering into other hypothetical situations involving seizure alert dogs (SADs). The science there is equivocal at best. The highest success rates have been with puppies who had no training at all, and those were based on anecdotal reports. As for adults and trained dogs, its looking like pocket-lining voodoo: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/bo...re-alert-dogs/

I did a medical journal article search that produced a number of articles concluding that there was no reliable evidence that dogs can be trained to predict seizures.

Dogs CAN be trained to do a lot of useful things. That's fine, but don't make dogs more magical than they are as a rationale for owning two as pets. I'm not seeing a lot of police dogs, drug sniffing dogs, sheep herding dogs or other working dogs on the MUPs. Just herds of pet dogs.

-- Jay Beattie.

A dog is just a dog and IMO there are too many people who have dogs who shouldn't. Not for that dog and not for the other people. My brother is a 'dog man'. He enjoys them, takes good care of them and trains them. Everytime I'm over there it a joy to see them and one could think 'I want that too'. I have no time to spend as much time with a dog as my brother does so I have no dog. A lot of people don't either but they just buy a dog anyway.

Shall we start a discussion about the long almost invisible leashes? Boy the really **** me off.

Lou