Old March 2nd 18, 03:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

Default The lone 26er in a forest full of 29ers and 27.5ers

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 11:26:33 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

If the stream is aimed well, it's pretty effective. But if I miss, I'll
usually turn around on the road and go back for another shot or two. I'm
training the dogs not to attack bikes. It's a service I provide to the
dog owners. They should pay me.

I used to live on a triangle of roads that would have been a very nice
short ride if there hadn't been a dog who lived in a dip on the back
leg, and always made me brake just when I wanted to conserve momentum
for the next climb.

So when I got my first can of Halt, I went dog-hunting. I sped down
the hill, the dog rushed out to attack, I fired, I missed.

So when I got to the top of the hill, I turned around for another
pass. Missed again. Before I got enough target practice to hit
something, the dog stopped coming into range. Finally I rode by and
the dog feebly lifted his head from his forepaws and emitted a dutiful
"woof".

He never bothered me again.

I often thought that if I had a dog that chased, I'd take him out to
the Mohawk-Hudson Bikeway on a holiday afternoon, tie him to a tree,
and let him bark himself into a coma.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net