Old May 14th 18, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Default MOT passed today

Geico discontinued their program where you get 75% off if you drive less than 2 miles for an entire month.

I think if I was driving less than 2 miles a month I would get rid of
the car

That's probably why they got rid of the plan. I was the only one on it. I needed to haul 4 water bottles every month or so, so it worked out for awhile. Everything else was by bike.

An even lamer rational: In an emergency you could call Geico and start driving immediately. You lose whatever days you had accrued at the reduced premium but the vehicle was available 24/7. I don't know the actuarial data but you need a motor vehicle in an emergency about as often as you need a gun to shoot home invaders.

After the plan had been discontinued I got swimmers ear about 2:30 am. I never considered driving. I cycled to the ER where they always ask the question:

"How did you get here?"

In a lot of ER situations your answer to this question may determine who they treat first. Arriving on a bike obviously can't compete against arriving on a gurney.

I told the truth. Fortunately the ER only had a couple other patients and the doctor was a swimmer who knew ear ache pain first hand.

I was back home in the arms of Morpheus by 3:30 am.

Bret Cahill