Old January 9th 18, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default flat (or dare I say it: hi-riser) bars on my old Paramount

On 1/9/2018 8:10 AM, wrote:
I am such an old coot that I don't feel comfortable bending down over my drop bars anymore, and I never seem to ride down in the drops. So I am thinking I'd be better off with a moustache or North Road-type bar, or even a hi-riser bar. Of course I'd get called a bike dweeb, but they are already calling me that anyway.

Your thoughts, please?

retroguybilly

If it has downtube shifters then it's a pretty inexpensive proposition.

I bought a Mixte road bike for the spousal unit and she insisted on
riser handlebars. It was an expensive upgrade with the parts not readily
available in the U.S.:

Riser bars:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/nc-17-trekking-4-5-super-riser-bar/rp-prod15446

Steerer shim:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/thomson-x2-x4-stem-steerer-shim-37mm/rp-prod124047

Brifters:
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/shimano-claris-r243-brake-8sp-gear-shifter-set/rp-prod112069

But there were few options. Mixte road bikes with triple cranksets are
few and far between in the U.S., though readily available in Europe.