Old January 12th 18, 12:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Anyone wear a helmet or elbow pads 4 black ice conditions?

On Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 10:15:33 AM UTC-8, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 1/11/2018 11:21 AM, Mark J. wrote:
On 1/7/2018 11:35 AM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 7, 2018 at 12:28:40 AM UTC-6, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
Just wondering if when it's known that there can be black ice on the
roads if anyone here wears a helmet or other protection (such as
elbow pads) that they'd not normally wear when the roads are clear.
Do you?

Cheers

If there is a chance of black ice, or any ice or slick condition, I
use carbide studded tires on my bike.Â* With studded tires, ice is
irrelevant.Â* Studded tires have perfect grip on ice or anything else.
I use normal helmet and lots of winter cycling clothes when using
studded tires.Â* So I have two, three thicknesses of clothes to protect
my body if I were to fall.Â* But with studded tires, you can't fall.

I agree that studs make ice (mostly) irrelevant.Â* (See what others have
posted about uncontrolled larger vehicles in the vicinity.)Â* But you
/can/ fall with studs, I've done it, though I haven't on "just ice."
Deep snow /over/ ice, that's another matter.Â* This is a pretty rare
condition around here.

I have one friend who was riding home from work in winter on studded
tires, very pleased at their traction. But as he turned into his
driveway, he fell when crossing the melted and re-frozen pile from the
snowplow. He broke his collarbone.

This doesn't meant falls are common with studded tires. But falling
isn't impossible.

Been there, done that -- although no broken collarbone. I never found studs to be magical in ice, but it might be because I have a crappy set of Innova el cheap-o studs. Ice on manhole covers, streetcar tracks, etc. is still very dangerous with studs.

Changing the subject, it's raining a lot, and my latest slip-fest is on the utterly stupid yellow and green plastic dimpled transitions on the super-duper cycletrack through the south waterfront. This stuff is everywhere, and when you hit it at an angle (turning across it to avoid on-coming dopes), your wheels slip out. It's like building sidewalks and installing banana peels.

-- Jay Beattie.