Old May 6th 18, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default Dynamo/LED power conditioning

On 5/6/2018 12:50 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 12:01:24 PM UTC-5, Joerg wrote:

For me the only proper way of lighting a bicycle is with a rechargeable
battery. The LEDs get clean DC and the battery can be recharged from any
source, even a pulsating one. That way the lights will not dim to "stand
light" or go out when waiting at a traffic light. Why should bicycle
lighting be inferior to car lighting?

--
Regards, Joerg

What F-ing world do you live in where you recharge the lights on your car? It must be a pretty F-ed up world. On all the cars I have driven, you turn the switch and the lights come on. There ain't no recharging the car lights. Rechargeable lights and batteries. Why not just duct tape a flashlight to your bars. Then you can stop at any convenience store and buy some new D batteries and ride forever.

I think Joerg meant that the automobile current from a
12~14VAC alternator source gets run through a diode bride
and then (as switched by the regulator) through a lead-acid
pile.

It's a lot of hardware for a bicycle I agree, but Joerg's
seems to work for Joerg's values of performance and
efficiency. Frank & I prefer a simple 6VAC tire drive dynamo
and others extoll USB-LiIon sets or hub dynamos. World's a
big place and people have their own criteria, which are
often inscrutable.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/