Old August 26th 07, 09:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Tim Hall

Default Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:21:44 +0200, Artemisia wrote:

From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

You need to ask Mr. Larrington. Malheuresement he is hors de combat at
the moment.

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic! Fly has an excellent light by Cateye with five bright
LCD beams, that runs off 5 AA batteries. But it's a big hoiky thing and
I can't see getting two of them between my bum and the bars.

Go with the dynamo option but use B&M standlights. These have a
halogen lamp which givesa nice bright light when in motion, and an LED
which gives enough light for you to be seen when at a stop.

Alternatively more bar real estate can be conjured up by using a
Minoura Space Grip or similar product. I've got a Minoura on one of my
bikes and apart from rattling screws loose it's been rock solid.
Others report they seem to be made of cheese these days. My recumbent
has a Topeak Bar X-Tender, which is more adjustable than the Minoura
and seems robust. I put a Cateye light with 5 LED (not LCD!) beams on
it.

Tim