Old August 27th 07, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Clinch

Default Recumbent Trikes - Where to Put the Lights?

Artemisia wrote:
From my early tests, it seems to me there is even less real estate on
the handlebars of a Darkside trike as on a normal bike.

I'm going to need a computer, mirrors, lights and preferably also an
Airzound horn, in addition to the brake and shifter controls. Where does
it all go?

Mirrors will still fit on the bars. The B&M Cyclestar should work fine
(that's what Roos & I both use on our underseat-steered 'bents). Lights
will typically fit on some sort of braze-on on the boom. Most companies
making the things have thought about it, HPVel certainly have as they
supply lighting as a standard option.

From my experiences with Beth, I've decided that I really don't like
dynamos, because you become invisible when you most need to be seen: at
a stop in traffic!

That's not aproblem with dynamos, but dynamos with lamps without a
standlight option... if you get lamps with standlights you have several
minutes backup light once you stop, which removes the problem. B&M
DToplight Plus at the back is an example, Lumotec Oval Plus on the front.

It would be preferable to have lights on both sides of me, since I will
now be a wide vehicle.

Not /much/ wider than the handlebars in a typical case. It's uncommon
for trikes to run multiple lateral sets and I'm not aware anyone has
ever raised that as an issue before, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Rob at Westcountry had that super-expensive
system on his Greenspeed that uses rechargeable battery packs. But that
was £500 just in lighting, and too expensive for me in addition to the
rest of the purchase, which will already clean me out for many months.

Rechargeable lamp sets start at around £20 for some entirely reasonable
kit (e.g.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/M...&ModelID=1387).
As long as the front lamp will mount on the boom somewhere, possibly
via something like a Space Grip, these should be quite acceptable. Use
an LED unit on the back rack to sort out the rear, the battery for the
front will usually hang off the main tube.

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK