Old January 9th 04, 06:31 PM
Edward Dolan

Default Biker Killed by Mountain Lion

"DH" wrote in message ...

I don't know what the solution is. Do you hunt down the animal for
killing even though that's what it does. If it were a domesticated dog,
we would put it to sleep. Do we kill bears that have attacked humans?
What's the manner we deal with mountain lions?

How should this be handled?

Man in his present state of society cannot really coexist with the big
killer carnivores. Even in a place like Yellowstone it is an eternal
dilemma. Complete separation of man and killer beast is the only
solution, even if it means that you have got to kill off all the big
carnivores. That historically is how the problem has always been
handled of course until fairly recently.

With the danger of these animals going extinct due to man's occupation
of every habitable square inch of the earth's surface we (the more
advanced Western civilizations) have decided to save them from that
fate. I am afraid however that zoos are the only solution. Sad but
true! Or does any one here on this newsgroup wish to sacrifice his
life so that the beasties can live? As Lorenzo would say, I thought
not!

The only solution that occurs to me is to set aside really enormous
kingdoms of nature (bio-preserves) and keep man away from them except
as infrequent visitors. This might be the best possible use for huge
areas of Canada and Siberia as well as central Asia and other
wastelands scattered about the earth. That is actually what we are
attempting to do right now but on a much smaller scale, but man pokes
his nose everywhere, even in places like the back country of
Yellowstone and Glacier.

But Orange County in Southern California should not be set aside for a
nature preserve for killer carnivores. Actually, I am not much in
favor of there even being bears and wolves in Yellowstone. To see a
pack of wolves ripping and tearing some poor beast apart while it is
still living is a horror not to be forgotten.

Since man has taken over the earth anyway we might as well design it
more to suit our purposes. We are going to exterminate the Wild and
maybe it is good riddance. We came from the Wild ourselves in terms of
our evolution but now maybe it is time to cut the tether. We shall
become like the Gods and rule without reference to anything outside
ourselves. Of course, we shall end up living in a world where our only
companions will be cockroaches and rats, but that is all we deserve
anyway.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota