Old March 7th 18, 02:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Cable Liner under Bottom Bracket

On 3/6/2018 8:42 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/6/2018 7:17 PM, jbeattie wrote:
The recovered Roubaix meth-mobile has internal cables and hoses (that
were miserable to fish around in the frame), but it has an open window
under the bottom of the bottom bracket where the cables are exposed
but run through inner-liner. the ends of the inner liner are inside
the frame or run up the front derailleur cable.

The cables on my commuter run externally and stick a lot on the BB
cable guide, and I was wondering if anyone has tried putting those
through a run of inner liner.Â* I suspect they might fill up with
water, but they might also keep the cables from sticking.

-- Jay Beattie.

Every system has its own foibles and failures.

In my experience, a regular drop of oil on open nylon under-BB guides is
as good a system as there is.

Adding a tube over them won't help unless the ends of that tube are
inside the frame, otherwise they clog promptly with crud, sticking worse
than open guides with energy drink splashes.

It sounds very similar to the short housing section used for some bikes'
front derailleur cable, to turn its path from the downtube up to the
derailleur. Those were about 3" long, bent about 150 degrees, with each
end pointed upward. In my experience, they inhaled crud and water which
never drained out. In cold weather the water froze and there was no
front shifting. Before stainless steel cables, the cables rusted in
there and caused similar problems.

On one mountain bike, I remember sealing them, more or less, with a
dollop of silicon seal at each end. It seemed to help a bit but was no
cure.

About the alternative, the nylon guide under the bottom bracket:
Cleaning and oiling there is a task I often forget, until I wonder why
my shifting seems wonky.

--
- Frank Krygowski