Old March 30th 18, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-29 12:25,
On 2018-03-28 20:28, James wrote:
On 28/03/18 01:39, Joerg wrote:

Hydraulics also can suffer from sudden fade and that's scary. Then
they require bleeding which, depending on the kind, is a messy
business. On mine particularly so because there is no bleed kit for
them. Cable disc brakes are fine for pavement riding, just not for
heavy duty MTB riding.

With the use of a few hose clamps, a file that is harder than tool
steel, nails and rocks, I'm sure you could build a front wheel for
your
MTB using a motorcycle front hub, disc brake and lever.

After upgrading to 8" rotors front and back I am quite pleased with
the
brake performance of my MTB. The bleeding is messy but only needs
to be
done about once a year and takes 1/2h.

Once a year? Why?

Because after about a year the lever for the rear brake starts feeling
soft. Braking is still fine and most other riders just leave it like
that but I like the pressure point nice and hard. Also, the slightest
amount of air in the line near the caliper can cause a brake failure on
a long downhill which here in the hills is not cool.

Never bleed my brakes on my cross bike for 4 years now and they feel
like they did on day 1. Shimano must be doing something right.

Says the guy riding in Nederlands where there are no mountain lions. Of
course they work for you.

Keep in mind, nothing works for Joerg.

--
- Frank Krygowski