Old May 26th 19, 04:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Joy Beeson

Default AG: Ride Report: Farmers' Markets

No time to write, I wanna ride!

Not that I've been riding much. It's been raining every day, and it's
been a *cold* rain. Since I have no wool clothing, I dare not get wet
on a cold day.

But today was glorious. It was actually hot, and I put the shirt and
tights I was wearing into the washer to rinse out the sweat.

And while I was hanging them up to dry (and discovering that these
tights have a pocket and I'd left a handkerchief in the pocket), I was
informed that thunderstorms are due in twenty minutes.

So I'm glad I left my bottle of tea at home and came back in time for
lunch (scrambled-egg patty with a tablespoon of potato flakes,
sausage, onion leaves, celery leaves, a snip of minced jalapen~o,
frozen corn, and lots of butter). I've been out in a thunderstorm,
and I'm really interested in NOT making this report THAT interesting.
As it was, while I was preparing to leave the courthouse market, the
signs blocking off Center street walked out into the middle of
Buffalo. A couple of people dragged them back and removed the
sail-like banner between them. But the wind was going the same way I
was and I didn't notice it again.

When I was walking along the sidewalk toward Hickory Street (a two-way
street which connects to a street that connects to Fort Wayne, which
is one way my way), I was overtaken by a party on bikes riding the
wrong way on Main Street. They crossed Hickory without any sign that
they were aware that they were crossing two travel lanes and a
railroad track, and continued the wrong way on Main, skimming as close
to parked cars as they could.

Surprisingly, I recall only two bike fatalities since we moved here in
2001. Soon after our arrival, someone was killed where a concealed
bike path crossed a major road, and just recently a man rode a bicycle
into the car behind the third engine of a train, and a few days later
died in one of the hospitals in Fort Wayne.

But wrong-way riders are rare enough to be worth mentioning.

Hmm . . . it's seventeen minutes later, and I had to turn a light on
to read my notes. Weather prediction is *really* good these days!

It's getting to be a habit: I was distracted by the "bike lane" on
Fort Wayne street and missed my turn again. I cut across on an alley
and zig-zagged back to Poppy Street, which I believe is the last
street that connects to Arthur.

Somewhere between the fairgrounds market and the courthouse market I
got an idea for a column. On some forum or the other, some fellow
just couldn't wrap his mind around the concept of four-way stops. No
matter how we explained it, he said "But nobody can ever pass through
the intersection! Everybody has to wait until everybody else has
gone!"

Stop signs don't say "Stop and wait until nobody is around.". They
say "Stop, and wait until IT'S YOUR TURN.".

I hope that little slip of paper doesn't get lost among the other
untranscribed notes before I've written the post.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net