Old March 15th 17, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

Default Shoe Overlap

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 09:14:38 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Anyone else had any experience with this?

Yes, sorta. I have this bicycle, which is too small for me:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Trek-1400.html
It's also a rather short wheelbase. The crank arm clears the front
tire by 6 cm. When I wear my steel toe Wolverine construction boots,
I end up with about 8 cm of overlap. I really like the way it rides,
but need to be VERY careful when turning. So far, not crashes, but I
have hit my toe a few times.

Compare the crank to tire clearance above with my every day ride:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/slides/Gary-Fisher-Tassajara.html

A rational person would probably declare this machine unrideable and
sell it. However, I had a better idea. I turned it into an exercise
machine for the winter. I have it setup on a Minoura trainer with the
rear wheel driving a resistance roller and the front wheel slightly
elevated. With the front wheel locked in place, there's no risk of a
crash.

Obviously, your friend is not going to repurpose his new bicycle into
an exercise machine, so this is not an option. I just wanted to point
out that it is possible to ride a bicycle with an extreme shoe
overlap.

The main thing that I had to learn was to NOT coast with the crank
arms parallel to the ground. Standing on the pedals in that position
to look around was a bad habit I picked up as a kid, and had to
unlearn.

I also learned to coast my way through turns. If the pedals are NOT
turning, my shoe is not going to hit the front wheel. That's not
practical for racing or climbing, but works on the flats and downhill.

--
Jeff Liebermann

150 Felker St #D
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558