Old September 14th 18, 06:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Default Slow down rusting of chain

On 14/09/2018 11:33 AM, jbeattie wrote:
On Thursday, September 13, 2018 at 1:08:27 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt wrote:
jbeattie wrote:

:I rode home last night in a torrential downpour. In one place, my pedals were under water. True Old Testament commute -- or the MidWest. Keeping any lubricant on the chain in that kind of weather is almost impossible.

This was my commute about a month ago:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DkB69POWsAA--a-.jpg

If both pedals aren't subrmerged at the same time, it's not
torrential.

--
sig 14

I don't have a drain hole in my BB, so if I get into water that deep, I have to pull the crank and shake out the water. On a stupid whim, I rode a fully submerged MUP that had been inundated by the Willamette River. I was almost swimming in one place. I had to drop the fork and dry out the headset. This spot (bad picture) http://bikeportland.org/wp-content/u...riverpoint.jpg When dry: https://tinyurl.com/ybcl99kp looking from the other direction: https://tinyurl.com/y8vpq944 The river is avoidable. Some of the street lakes aren't, but the inch-an-hour type rainfall is a rarity. This is not NC.

-- Jay Beattie.

Got caught in a storm a few weeks ago. I needed to replace my tires so
I was doing that while in the basement watching tv. When I pulled the
rear tire off it splashed water all over the carpet. The front one had
some water as well. Never had that before...