Old March 2nd 05, 09:22 PM
Ken Marcet

"Werehatrack" wrote in message
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:11:30 -0500, "Ken Marcet"
may have said:

Okay after doing some googling of "western flyer" I seem to have found

lots
of links pages that talk about "western flyers" that date all the way

back
to the 40's!

And farther, into the late '30s.

Now I know this 10 speed is NOT that old. And I have read that
some "western flyers" were sold at Western Auto Parts stores.

All of them. It was a WA house brand.

Yeah I found some small printing on the front decal, that reads "Western
Auto Stores", imagine that! I learned something new today!

Read somewhere
that some were built by Schwinn anyone know if this is true?

In the day when Sears, WA, JCPenney and Montgomery Wards were serious
competitors for the general public's bike-buying dollar, all of their
sales people used to make allusions to their bikes being "just like a
Schwinn" or "identical to a Schwinn that costs twice as much". I have
no hard information to the effect that Schwinn built private-label
bikes for the big retailers, but it's possible...however, they would
likely not have been just Schwinn models with a different nameplate
slapped on. More likely, these bikes were copycats made by other,
lower-bidding suppliers.