Old June 29th 03, 10:49 AM
David Kunz

Default Getting over the mighty log (jumping that is)

Jon Bond wrote:
"David Kunz" wrote in message
rthlink.net...

Paladin wrote:

Bill Wheeler wrote in message

. ..

Good description, Bill, and if a guy stalls on top of the log, just
start pedaling. Either the chain ring will dig in and propel the
rider forward, or the pedal will come down and do the same. Works for
me too.

Now I need to try it too .

I use the lift/slam method: lift the front end like they do, as I go
over, I shift forward unweighting the rear, but I typically slam the
chain-rings (tooth fairy) into logs over 1'.

What I do for the bigger one (like 1-1/2-2'), is to go slower and be
prepared to unclip and give a push with my foot to get over the top if I
need it (if momentum + 1/2 pedal stroke don't get me over). That way,
I'm much less likely to end-up with me on one side of the log (the far
side) and the bike still on the near side .

David

Only problem with that technique is when you get to that 2' log, and you do
an instant endo when the rear wheel gets up (IF you can even get it up there
without the hop) because your weight is way too far forwards. Wheel sized
logs make for very steep exit angles.

Yea, found that out .
The last time that I cut down a tree (I hate dutch elm disease) I saved
a couple of logs for practise in the back yard. I used the smaller ones
to get my technique to the point where I don't panic every time that I
see a log (even though I always made them (almost ), but I haven't
tried the last one yet -- it's over 2'. It's time .

David