Old May 6th 09, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default WTF is with the spandex?

In article ,
Andrew Price writes:
On Mon, 4 May 2009 19:56:03 -0700, (Tom Keats)
wrote:

[---]

As for the more garish versions (i.e: jerseys with 7-Eleven,
Volkswagen, &c logos splattered all over them -- some people
prefer more subdued stuff. And some people just don't
wanna be human billboards.

You don't have to - plain bike clothing is available most everywhere.
I'd be very surprised if you can't find it in Vancouver, as some of it
(e.g. Pearl Izumi) comes from North America.

Well, as I noted further downthread, the plain-jane stuff
is available, but I find it rather dowdy and drab.
So there's our spectrum of choices: ultra-garish or
infra-drab.

For example, I have a long-sleeved jersey from
Mountain Equipment Co-op; it's battleship grey.

I'd just like to see a happy medium. Argyle jerseys
might be nice. Or the right kind of plaid.

To be honest, we have some local designers proffering
some nice wares, although they largely cater to the
freeride/trials/downhill-oriented customers.

And it can be fun (if one has the time) to cruise
the thrift shops for non-cycling-specific clothing
that nevertheless elegantly suits cycling purposes
while appealing to one's aesthetics.

cheers,
Tom

--