Old March 26th 18, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default MTB disc brake caused wild fire

On 2018-03-26 13:57, sms wrote:
On 3/26/2018 12:15 PM, Joerg wrote:
Remember when some folks here scoffed at that risk? Bernd Ullrich in
the German language bike NG posted this link but it is in German:

http://www.rp-online.de/panorama/aus...-aid-1.7479241

Here are link with photos and a video of the fi

http://www.vol.at/vorarlberg-waldbra...rsberg/5722558

http://vorarlberg.orf.at/news/stories/2903197/

Long story short it says that a Swiss MTB rider parked his MTB in
grass after a downhill ride. Then ... phut ... smoke and flames. He
and two other guys were unable to put out the fast-spreading fire. Two
helicopters over 100 fire fighters were required to get this under
control.

Grant Petersen was right.
https://www.rivbike.com/pages/disc-brakes

Quote "But the idea that hub-disc brakes are an advancement or even
desirable for general purpose riding ... is nonsense"

If that's really his reasoning then he hasn't got a clue. Yesterday I
coasted back down a hill with a friend and a nasty hail storm set in. He
had disc brakes and could always stop on a dime. I was on my road bike
with rim brakes and they started to fail miserably. I had to keep them
partially engaged almost the whole time to make sure I had enough brake
actions when needed.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/