Old September 13th 18, 03:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Bus racks

On 2018-09-10 19:37, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 9/10/2018 4:43 PM, Joerg wrote:

[...]

Frank: My SUV gets 25mpg with California gas, 28mpg with gas
from Nevada or Oregon.

So I beat you by over 40%. Brag on, Joerg.

Doesn't matter. I buy gas 3-4 times a year. Total mileage per year
is around 1000mi. Your numbers?

Then why on earth do you need a pick-up? On those rare occasions
that you need a truck, you can rent one from U-Haul or Home Depot for
$19 per day. It's cheaper than renting an aerator or rototiller. Save
all that money and buy a hitch rack for the bikes. One word: Yakima.
But if you can't afford one of those, there are others on the
market.

As I wrote I don't have a pickup truck, a friend has. I have an SUV into
which I can easily load the MTB or the road bike. It has no receiver for
a trailer hitch, would have to install one.

So the solution is simple: If I go alone I use my SUV. If I go with my
mountain biking friend we use his pickup truck.

I was hoping to use our buses but because of their sub-par racks that
isn't going to happen with the MTB. With the road bike we'll see, I am
going to try that later this week.

Seems like you have it all sussed out then. So why this interminable
thread?

So he could complain about the bike racks on buses, which actually caused collision between two of his favorite themes: (1) government expense and incompetence, and (2) the brutal and dangerous life of a pioneer in the wilds of Cameron Park. You're complaining about a bus? The Donner Party would have killed for a bus. Be a man! Ride your bike!

-- Jay Beattie.